2012 marked five years of Wecare Missions Inc. medical outreaches to these villages. We had some challenges but we thank God for helping to provide resolutions and allowing us to focus on our mission of providing health care to the poor and needy. We successfully recruited more than 100 volunteers from different regions of the country to join us in attending to more than 1500 patient over a 4-day period.
We are so pleased and excited with the progress we have made within this community. One of our indicators is the eye clinic; we have observed a gradual decrease in number of patients with cataracts. In 2008, the numbers were overwhelming and we booked patients for surgery for the following year. This year, we completed all surgeries in two days with none postponed to 2013. Most had immature cataracts and needed more time before surgical extraction. Many visited us for maintenance and supply of eye drops and ointment. This is really exciting news for us!!!
- More than 2,000 pounds of medicines worth $1.1 M shipped and dispensed at no cost to the patients
- Good turnout of volunteers (medical and non medical)
- Attended to 1,551 patients
- 351 treated for eye diseases
- 145 pair of eye glasses dispensed
- 30 eye surgeries – Cataract/Pterygium
- 23 teeth extractions and oral hygiene education provided
- 4 additional teams/locations for health and wellness screening/management of chronic diseases such as diabetes and hypertension.
- Buguma – East: 113
- Mbula – North: 290
- Etsako – Mid West: 890
- Sr. Prisca – data not available
- Our new partnership with All Saints Church, Auchi is proving to be very valuable.
- The Bishop, his staff and 10 other clergy worked with us throughout our visit.
- The church provided transportation (a bus and driver) and industrial fans to alleviate heat.
- Additionally, in support of Wecare Missions first time patients, the church’s medical team conducted a week long medical outreach for newly diagnosed diabetes and hypertensive patients.
- Provided consultation and treatment to 411 patients